In this interactive, touch-screen, audio-visual tutorial, visitors will be able to learn about environmental hazards ranging from lead to carbon monoxide to pesticides, in Spanish.
The Prenatal Kiosk is available in Spanish and English. Click here to go directly to the English version of the Kiosk. Click here to go to the Spanish version. If you know people who might want to use the Prenatal Kiosk, here is a flyer that can be shared.
- The Kiosk is available online, on PC and Mac platforms for locations without internet access.
- The Kiosk is an interactive touch-screen computer program with audio.
- Approximately 60 screens covering important topics in prenatal environmental health.
- For each topic, the following questions are addressed:
- What is it?
- How are you and your family exposed?
- Why is it harmful?
- What are some practical prevention strategies?
- In Your Food: pesticides in fruits and vegetables, nitrates in food and water, lead poisoning through certain foods and pottery, mercury exposure through seafood consumption
- At Home: toxic household products, environmental tobacco smoke, lead exposure, common allergens (e.g., mold, pets, dust mites, etc.), indoor air pollution, childproofing
- Outside: outdoor air pollution, recycling, allergens, pesticides, sun exposure
- At work: repetitive stress, stress at work, chemicals at work, biohazards, universal precautions, practical prevention strategies for these specific exposures and workers’ rights
- Feedback from a survey of 187 pregnant women using the Kiosk in California health clinics included:
- “Really fun. Now I see why my kids like using the computer so much.”
- Some commented that they had computers at home and were going to ask their kids to teach them to use it.
- Future Directions:
- CERCH plans to including information on emerging exposures such as Flame Retardants, BPA, and Phthalates.
Outreach Goal 2:
To increase awareness of children’s environmental health.