What is the HERMOSA Study about?
The purpose of the HERMOSA Study is to look at endocrine-disrupting chemicals that are found in commonly used personal care products like make-up, soap, shampoo, and more.
Endocrine disruptors are chemicals that either mimic or block hormones and disrupt the body’s normal functions like growth and development.
What is involved?
• Complete three interviews telling us about yourself, your personal care products (i.e. shampoo, lotion, soap, makeup, etc.), and the foods you eat
• Provide two urine samples
• Use low chemical personal care products for three days. You will be provided with these products.
When can I join the study?
• Enrollment begins May 2013
• Office visits will be scheduled for June and July 2013
Who can participate?
• Teen girls (14-18 years old) ; girls 14-17 will need their parent’s permission
• Must have lived in the United States for at least 1 year
• Speak English or Spanish
• Available to participate for three days in June or July
What do I get if I participate?
• $100 in gift cards
• Low-chemical personal care products
• Free bus pass to the office
Call, text or email to join the study!
ALL INFORMATION COLLECTED WILL REMAIN CONFIDENTIAL
HERMOSA Study Partners
Center for Environmental Research and Children’s Health (CERCH), School of Public Health, UC Berkeley
Clínica de Salud del Valle de Salinas (CSVS)
HERMOSA Study is paid for by by a grant from the California Breast Cancer Research Program